Conjunction Use 连词用法
1. 和我不一样，她对英语很精通。 Incorrect: Different from me, she is proficient in English. Correct: Unlike me, she is proficient in English.
2. 莫妮卡，借我点钱吧，比方说500美元。 Incorrect: Lend me some money, for instance 500 dollars, Monika. Correct: Lend me some money, say 500 dollars, Monika.
3. 去年夏天我本想去欧洲，但费用太高于是放弃了。 Incorrect: I wanted to go to Europe last summer, but it was too expensive so I gave up to go. Correct: I wanted to go to Europe last summer, but it was too expensive so I gave up the idea.
4. 我就是这样做的。 Incorrect: This is the way how I did it. Correct: This is how I did it. or This is the way I did it.
5. 我来这儿的路上遇到了交通事故，所以迟到了。 Incorrect: There was a traffic accident on my way here. It is why I was late. Correct: There was a traffic accident on my way here. That is why I was late.
6. 他们不理解我的想法。 Incorrect: They didn't understand my mind. Correct: They didn't understand what I was thinking.
7. 无论是他们还是我都不对这个错误负责。 Incorrect: Neither they nor I are to blame for this mistake. Correct: Neither they nor I am to blame for this mistake.
The American Civil War lasted four years _______ the North won in the end.(广东)
A. after B. before C. when D. then
2. 表示“……还没来得及……就……”。强调从句动作发生之前，主句动作已发生。 —Why didn't you tell him about the meeting? (四川卷) — He rushed out of the room _________ I could say a word. A. before B. until C. when D. after 解析：答案为A。句意是“我还没来得及说一句话，他就冲出了房间”。
3. 用于句型“It will/would be some time before…”句型中，表示“要过多久才…”； 其否定形式“It won't/wouldn't be some time before…”表示“过不了多久就……”。
The field research will take Joan and Paul about five months; it will be a long time _____ we meet them again.（安徽卷）
A. after B. before C. since D. when
—How long do you think it will be ______China sends a manned spaceship to the moon? （2006福建） —Perhaps two or three years.
A. when B. until C. that D. before
It ______ long before we _____ the result of the experiment.( 上海)
A. will not be…will know B. is…will know C. will not be…know D. is…know
解析：前两个考题before 用于“It will be some time before…”句型，表示“要过多久…才…”。
4. 用于句型 “it was some time before …” 表示 “过了（多长时间）才……”。其否定形式“ it was not some time before …” 意为“没过多长时间就……”。
It was some time ___________we realized the truth. （山东）
A. when B. until C. since D. before 解析：答案为D。题意是“过了一段时间我们才意识到事情的真相”。
该结构主句常用过去完成时，当hardly位于句首时，要用倒装语序. I had hardly sat down before/when the telephone rang. Hardly had I sat down before/when the telephone rang. 我刚一坐下电话就响了。
1）“It is/has been some time since sb. did…”表示“自从某人做某事已经有多长时间了”。
2）“It be +时间点 + when引导的时间状语从句”表示“某个动作发生时，是某个时间”。主句谓语动词可以是一般过去时，也可以是一般将来时。
It is almost five years we saw each other last time. （北京）
A. before B. since C. after D. when
Did Jack come back early last night? （福建）
Yes. It was not yet eight o’ clock ______ he arrived home.
A. before B. when C. that D. until